[custom_headline type=”left” level=”h1″ looks_like=”h4″]Advertising Terms[/custom_headline]
The Ad Review ProcessBefore ads show up on Burlington Lifestyle, they’re reviewed to make sure they meet our Advertising Policies Typically most ads are reviewed within 1 day, although in some cases it may take longer. Learning about these policies will help you successfully advertise on Burlington Lifestyle. Below are the most common reasons why ads don't pass our review.
Using Text in ImagesAds on Burlington Lifestyle may not include images with text that covers more than 20% of the image's area.In part, this is because using images with minimal text makes your content more engaging and helps to ensure that people only see high-quality content on Burlington Lifestyle. This guideline applies to all ads, including video thumbnails.
Age-Restricted MaterialSome ads on Burlington Lifestyle aren’t approved because they might be trying to show photos or messages to an audience that's too young. For example, ads for alcohol must meet certain guidelines which include restrictions on age based on the targeted location's laws on alcohol ads.
Things You Should Know
- The Advertising Policies apply to (1) all ads and commercial content served by or purchased through Burlington Lifestyle, on or off the Burlington Lifestyle services and (2) ads appearing within apps on Burlington Lifestyle. You may be subject to additional terms or guidelines if you use certain Burlington Lifestyle advertising-related products or services.
- Advertisers are responsible for understanding and complying with all applicable laws and regulations. Failure to comply may result in a variety of consequences, including the cancellation of ads you have placed and termination of your account.
- We do not use sensitive personal data for ad targeting. Topics you choose for targeting your ad don't reflect the personal beliefs, characteristics or values of users.
- If you are managing ads on behalf of other advertisers, each advertiser or client must be managed through separate ad accounts. You must not change the advertiser or client associated with an established ad account; set up a new account.
- We reserve the right to reject, approve or remove any ad for any reason, in our sole discretion, including ads that negatively affect our relationship with our users or that promote content, services, or activities, contrary to our competitive position, interests, or advertising philosophy.
- These policies are subject to change at any time without notice.
- Ads must not constitute, facilitate, or promote illegal products, services or activities. Ads targeted to minors must not promote products, services, or content that are inappropriate, illegal, or unsafe, or that exploit, mislead, or exert undue pressure on the age groups targeted.
- Ads must not promote the sale or use of the following:
- Illegal, prescription, or recreational drugs;
- Tobacco products and related paraphernalia;
- Unsafe supplements, as determined by Burlington Lifestyle in its sole discretion;
- Weapons, ammunition, or explosives; or
- Adult products or services services (except for ads for family planning and contraception).
- Ads must not contain any of the following:
- Content that infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights.
- Adult content. This includes nudity, depictions of people in explicit or suggestive positions, or activities that are overly suggestive or sexually provocative.
Images may not be overly sexual, imply nudity, show excessive amounts of skin or cleavage, or focus unnecessarily on body parts – even if portrayed for artistic or educational reasons.
Avoid images that are overly sexual.
Avoid images that are sexually suggestive.
EXAMPLE Shocking, sensational, disrespectful, or excessively violent content.
Image that are scary, gory or sensational are not allowed as they may shock or evoke a negative response from viewers.
Avoid images that may shock or scare viewers.
Avoid images that are violent or confronting.
Content that asserts or implies personal attributes. This includes direct or indirect assertions or implications about a person’s race, ethnic origin, religion, beliefs, age, sexual orientation or practices, gender identity, disability, medical condition (including physical or mental health), financial status, membership in a trade union, criminal record, or name.
EXAMPLE: RACE, RELIGION, NAME
Referring to people's personal attributes is not allowed. Using the word “other” may also cause your ad to be disapproved.
- Deceptive, false, or misleading content, including deceptive claims, offers, or business practices.
- Content that exploits controversial political or social issues for commercial purposes.
- Audio or flash animation that plays automatically without a person's interaction or expands within Burlington Lifestyle after someone clicks on the ad.
- Non-functional landing pages. This includes landing pages that interfere with a person’s ability to navigate away from the page.
- Spyware, malware, or any software that results in an unexpected or deceptive experience. This includes links to sites containing these products.
- Bad grammar or punctuation. Symbols, numbers, and letters must be used properly.
- Images that portray nonexistent functionality.
Images may not portray nonexistent functionality such as a “play” button that suggests video capability or a “close” button that doesn't close.
- Images that contain “before-and-after” images or images that contain unexpected or unlikely results.
Images that emphasize an “ideal” body or body parts, or images showing unexpected or unlikely results – such as “before and after images” – are not allowed.
- Alcohol: Ads that promote or reference alcohol must: (i) Comply with all applicable local laws, required or established industry codes, guidelines, licenses and approvals and (ii) apply age and country targeting criteria consistent with Burlington Lifestyle's targeting guidelines and applicable local laws.
Targeting: Subject to all applicable laws, regulations, industry codes and these guidelines. You may only target alcohol ads to the following age groups: 19 years or older in Canada
- Dating: Ads for online dating services are only allowed with prior authorization from Burlington Lifestyle. These must adhere to the dating targeting requirements and our dating quality guidelines.
- Online real money gambling/games of skill: Ads that promote or facilitate online real money gambling, real money games of skill or real money lotteries, including online real money casino, sports books, bingo, or poker, are only allowed with prior authorization from Burlington Lifestyle.
- Lotteries: Lotteries run by government entities may advertise on Burlington Lifestyle, provided the ads are targeted in accordance with applicable law in the jurisdiction in which the ads will be served and only target users in the jurisdiction in which the lottery is available.
- Online pharmacies: Ads for online and offline pharmacies are only permitted with prior authorization from Burlington Lifestyle.
- Supplements: Ads that promote acceptable dietary and herbal supplements may only target users who are at least 18 years of age.
- Subscription services: Ads for subscription services, or that promote products or services that include negative options, automatic renewal, free-to-pay conversion billing products, or mobile marketing are subject to our subscription services requirements
- Relevancy: All components of an ad, including any text, images, or other media, must be relevant and appropriate to the product or service being offered and the audience viewing the ad.
- Accuracy: Ads must clearly represent the company, product, service, or brand that is being advertised.
- Landing pages: Products and services promoted in the ad copy must match those promoted on the landing page, and the destination site may not offer or link to any prohibited product or service.
Text in Images
- Ads must not include added or excessive text that comprises more than 20% of the image.
The 20% text policy doesn't include:
- Pictures of products that include text on the actual product (ex: book covers, album covers, movie posters).
- Embedded text on images of games and apps.
- Cartoons where text is part of the cartoon.
The 20% text policy does include:
- Logos and slogans.
- Images with text overlay (ex: watermarks).
- Images that are clearly edited to include text on the product as a loophole to policy.
Keep in mind text will be marked even if it occupies only a small portion of a box
Use of the Burlington Lifestyle Brand
- Ads must not imply a Burlington Lifestyle endorsement or partnership of any kind.
- Ads linking to Burlington Lifestyle branded content (including Pages, groups, events, or sites that use Burlington Lifestyle Login) may make limited reference to “Burlington Lifestyle” in ad text for the purpose of clarifying the destination of the ad.
- All other ads and landing pages must not use our copyrights or trademarks (including but not limited to Burlington Lifestyle and logo) or any confusingly similar marks, except as expressly permitted by our Guidelines or with our prior written permission.
Data Use Restrictions
- Ensure any ad data collected, received or derived from your Burlington Lifestyle ad (“Burlington Lifestyle advertising data”) is only shared with someone acting on your behalf, such as your service provider. You are responsible for ensuring your service providers protect any Burlington Lifestyle advertising data or any other information obtained from us, limit their use of all of that information, and keep it confidential and secure.
- Don’t use Burlington Lifestyle advertising data for any purpose (including retargeting, commingling data across multiple advertisers’ campaigns, or allowing piggybacking or redirecting with tags), except on an aggregate and anonymous basis (unless authorized by Burlington Lifestyle) and only to assess the performance and effectiveness of your Burlington Lifestyle advertising campaigns.
- Don’t use Burlington Lifestyle advertising data, including the targeting criteria for a Burlington Lifestyle ad, to build, append to, edit, influence, or augment user profiles, including profiles associated with any mobile device identifier or other unique identifier that identifies any particular user, browser, computer or device.
- Don't transfer any Burlington Lifestyle advertising data (including anonymous, aggregate, or derived data) to any ad network, ad exchange, data broker or other advertising or monetization related service.